Thirteen notes on The Hunger Games, one for each district.March 23, 2012 - Author: Melissa Nodurft
The following are my reactions to seeing The Hunger Games at midnight lastnight/thismorning.
- The HG audience does not dress up like the HP audience. I’m proud of my little Weck fanatics for dressing like Capital People. You should have seen the heads whip around to watch us walk in the theatre.
- The cast is beautiful. The costumes are beautiful.
- The Tributes were surprisingly lighthearted and youthful despite being placed in an arena to kill one another.
- Katniss’ braids were cool enough to copy. Actually, I made a real Katniss braid today. Maybe I should start making hair tutorials on YouTube. Actually, no.
- The whole world is upset that the film omitted Madge and the pin story changed. I am not upset. The writers wrote the film to be a complete entity in case Catching Fire did not get picked up. This was a better story for a solo film.
- The romance was downplayed a lot. I appreciated this. I was worried the movie would turn into light porn. The romance piece always seems to be exaggerated in movies with a YA audience. I was pleased to see a relatively true-to-book depiction of the cave scenes.
- Alternatively, the political commentary was played up. That’s a major win in my book.
- The only complaint I have is that Katniss did not drug Peeta. I really wanted her to drug him.
- I LOVED the District 11, District 12, Gamemaker, President Snow/Seneca, and Ceasar/Claudius scenes. Katniss did not narrate. This was a lovely way to give clarity and show the affect the games have on people in real time. Genius!
- I’m really happy to say Peeta’s leg survived the movie.
- Speaking of Peeta, he is totally badass! Anyone who doubted Peeta and called him weak, watch the movie. This dude picked up Cato and threw him twice.
- I thought Seneca was led into a gas chamber at the end. Turns out it was just a room with a very specific fruit bowl. Still, death.
- I was secretly hoping the credits would show the riot in District 8 followed by the escape of Twill and Bonnie. It would have been easy to throw together with extras in post production. It also would rile up a lot of excitement for part II in 2013. Yo, Lionsgate, ask my opinion for things in the future.
I could not be more pleased with the movie. Well, I could. But only if Katniss drugged Peeta.